Oct 23 2007

I was having a serious case of “The Mondays”

Yesterday was just sort of bad news all over the place. I was up for way too many minutes out of the already too short night because my sore throat kept jolting me out of sleep. I felt bad enough that I actually stayed home yesterday. The good part of that is that John and Cole stayed home with me- effectively a three-day weekend. We did some very important movie watching and block building.

When I called Cole’s daycare to tell her that he wouldn’t be gracing them with his presence, I was told that she and her husband had been in the hospital for several hours on Friday night dealing with his foot. He was exposed to a huge amount of Agent Orange in Vietnam while building the roads. Planes would fly ahead and defoliate with Agent Orange and his crew would follow. Now he has severe neuropathy and lives in constant pain. He’s been getting black patches on his right foot. After having a few of these patches *shudder* cut out and the antibiotics not keeping them from coming out in new places, they are now talking about amputating his foot. I do not know how this man will survive having his foot cut off. He won’t be able to move around in their house or futz around in the yard or build stuff like he does now. I’m just not sure how it’s going to work. I feel so sad for them that they are going through this and I’m a little selfishly worried that it might be the end of Cole’s daycare (though they don’t have any other way to make money, so we may be safe there). The closest VA Hospital is about 3 hours away, so they’ll have to take a day to go down there to have him checked out. Who knows how long he or they would have to be down there if they decide to take his foot. I want to do something for them, but I just don’t know what.

Then I took Cole to the dentist. I don’t know if you remember, but Cole had a tooth (“G” to be exact) that would not come down for the longest time. It finally came in months ago, but it was at a very strange angle and was never square like the others. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that another tooth had broken through practically on top of the other tooth. Of course his dentist was out on vacation, so yesterday was the first day he could go see her. She agreed with me that there is definitely one more tooth than should be in there, but we have to go to a pediatric specialist to find out if it’s actually an extra (supernumerary) tooth or if it’s his adult #10 coming in WAY too early. The closest specialist is 1.5 hours away and we’ll probably have to go twice at least. I’m not excited. We don’t have the money for this. Not even close. But I have to take him. I’m not even thinking twice about it.

We all went to the store yesterday evening and ran into someone with whom John and I were both friends in High School. We had drifted apart because she had turned into a religious proselytizer, and we just don’t care to be around people who can’t respect that we don’t believe the same things that they do. She had gotten married to someone from high school and had very quickly had three boys with him. I had seen her last spring in a store and we had chatted briefly and pleasantly but I hadn’t heard anything about her since. She told us last night in the store that her husband had died last June. At first we thought she must be saying that her husband’s father had died, but after we walked away the full truth of what she had said sunk in. Her 27 year old husband died last June, leaving her alone with three boys. I was shocked. John saw her in another part of the store and gave her a hug, saying that we had reacted strangely because it hadn’t really hit us before. She said that she knew it was awkward. Awkward doesn’t quite cover it. I don’t really know what does.

And I’m back at work today feeling overwhelmed by work and life in general. But I have my family and we all (relatively, at least) have our health, and I am so grateful.


  • By anne at annenahm.com, October 23, 2007 @ 11:41 am

    Oh yeah. That sounds like a suck ass day. *hugs*

  • By Yoli, October 23, 2007 @ 10:59 pm

    We had to go to a pediatric dentist in that town 1.5 hours away. We went to Dr. lenser first. She wasn’t at all pediatric friendly to my children, and more costly. But she does have good recommendation. We ended up going to Dr. Andy Soderstom, who doesn’t talk much, but was very nice and did the procedure with way less medication than the other dentist suggested… and less expensive. Eh, just my experience.

  • By ticknart, October 26, 2007 @ 9:11 am

    I’ve been trying to figure out who you and John spoke with in the store.

    I can only think of one person from high school who has three kids now and I thought she lived in Wyoming or one of the other middle states.

    So, could you let me know who so my curiosity won’t be as distracting?

Other Links to this Post

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a comment